Sunday, December 16, 2012

This is probably not what you're looking for.



Sorry it’s taken so long for me to get this post up.  I had been in a funk since last Saturday’s Walmart extravaganza and I didn’t really come out of it until today.  I’m not sure if it was an overdose of ugly consumerism masked with holiday cheer or just exhaustion, but after the news broke on Friday about the tragedy in Connecticut, I was pretty bogged down.  I knew if I didn’t shake it soon, it could turn into a downward spiral that might take me a little more than a quick dose of retail therapy and a binge session with Mr. Ben & Jerry to come out of.  

Thank goodness for some great friends who didn’t mind helping me shed my crappy attitude.  After a late night road trip (“late night” for me means anything after 9:30) to Lincoln to see Good Show Great Show, I felt much better.  If you’ve never heard of them, you need to go check them out.  If you only listen to one song, it should probably be Buffalo Ring.  If you listen to two songs, check out Francis, for sure.  But really, you should listen to the whole thing.  It's pretty awesome.  They describe their music as “whiskey flavored,” and as a consumer of both music and whiskey, I have to agree.  It was definitely what I needed to pull me out of my rut and put some joy back in my life.


(Big GSGS fan! Check out their album, Larry Turquoise available on iTunes)



In my last post, I promised I would have a different gift tag idea for you (one not requiring a Cricut).  Unfortunately, the idea I had in mind ended in terrible failure…. Not quite “burn the kitchen down” failure, but definitely “make a mess so big it takes more than a little elbow grease and 409 to clean it up” failure.

Luckily, I’ve got several other ideas that I worked on this weekend.  I promise I’ll have a post about it tomorrow, complete with idiot-proof instructions (ie: 3 steps or less for most of them) and crappy cell phone pictures.

I just want to end by saying that right now, in the midst of our nation’s grief over the incredible loss of innocent life, try to go out and help someone.  Even if it’s something as simple as holding the door open for the person behind you or buying a stranger’s coffee.  We need to get some positivity going.  Say a prayer, if you’re a prayerful person.  If not, just try to send some good thoughts to everyone affected by this senseless tragedy.  We need to come together as brothers and sisters, and give each other a shoulder to cry on, and a hand to hold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment