Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sharing the love, 12/22/2012



Today, I want to send some love my brother’s way.  There’s something special about the bond between siblings; it’s different than friends or other family members.  I haven’t always been the best big sister (shocker!), and for that, I’m sorry.  

We’ve had our share of knock-down-drag-out fights, but I don’t know any siblings that haven’t.  Remember when you pushed me face-first out of the pickup bed onto the concrete driveway?  I paid you back by knocking out your front tooth (on Christmas Eve, of course).  There were probably days when Mom had to be sure only one of her children was going to see twenty.  That woman is a saint for putting up with all our shenanigans.

Even though we’ve never been really close, there’s nobody I would rather have those memories with.  I don’t think I know anyone wittier than you.  As a child, you had the goofiest sense of humor, but as you mature, you’ve become so intelligent (and snarky). 

I’ve been told I’m brave and I’ve been told I’m strong, but when I look at you, I know you’ve got me beat on that one.  Especially when we were younger.  You’ve never cared what people thought of you, and I really admire that.  I remember when I was in junior high, and I was upset over some typical junior high girl issue.  Dad sat me down and told me he wished I could be more like you, because you had such security in who you were.  

I know you’ve had some rough patches, but it doesn’t tarnish the way I see you.  In my eyes, you’re still my little brother who beat me at anything related to academics (if I got an A, you got an A+; I was the salutatorian, you were the valedictorian).  You’ve got so much potential, and I know you’ll succeed at anything to attempt, because you always have.  

Although we don’t see eye to eye on many social, political, and religious issues, I respect your opinions and value your input.  I’m not the best at showing it (I still won’t hug you if anyone else is looking), but I love you, and I’m so glad O gets to have you as his uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment