Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Thanksgiving in July 7/31



It’s been one of those weeks where I needed slapped in the face with a little gratitude. The last several days have required much more parental patience than I possess; I’ve had to stop myself and reach into my Superwoman stash and pull out miraculous amounts of calm, cool and levelheadedness (traits that I’m naturally lacking).

O will be 2 in about a month, and we’re already experiencing some symptoms of the terrible twos. Along with acting like a snotty teenager, he’s also tapped into super-human stubbornness and unbelievably high-decibel tantrums. I can handle that during the day, but when I’m supposed to be sleeping, it just doesn’t work. I take my sleep very seriously. 

Along with reminding myself that I should be grateful for a healthy and (albeit obnoxious) normal toddler, I’ve also found these blessings along the way:

Friends and family members who have been there, done that (got the Kool-aid stained t-shirt) in the parenting arena. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who wants to suck down an entire box of wine (yes, box… desperate times, my friends) before lunch some days.

Friends and family members who don’t have kids. To remind me that I used to be lots of fun before my name became Mommy. And to help me remember how to have fun after bedtime.

Our Roku. I was a little skeptical when Tots said we “needed” this device, but we watch so much Netflix, it really has been worth it.

McDonald’s Vanilla Ice Coffee. It’s not great for you by any means, but it sure makes me happy.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, the "terrible twos"; "not so great threes"; "obnoxious fours"..... OK, I made up the last two. None of these will prepare you for the teenage years. However, count your blessings, you have a boy. Not as many of the heavy sighs, rolling eyes and fights over clothing, because if they can wear the same thing day after day, they are happy. Let his father take care of it, because, after all, he was one!!!

    ReplyDelete