Thursday, July 11, 2013

Thanksgiving in July 7/11

I spent a little time on the road today by myself, for the first time in a long time. That meant listening to anything I wanted and singing as loud as I wanted, without a toddler telling me "Mommy, too woud!" or "Mommy, music OFF!" or, my favorite, "Mommy, no music. Sing twinkle sarr."

Today I'm thankful for:
1. All of the different "phases" of my life so far. I'm not kidding when I tell you that on the way to my destination, my iPhone played (in this exact order) Mumford & Sons, Tom Petty, Brand New, Fleetwood Mac, Alice Cooper, James Taylor and Tom Petty. Each song took me back to the day I downloaded it (legally, I assure you), and even though I'm a completely different person than I was back in my Brand New days, I still love all of that music. It's symbolic to me of where I've been and what I've overcome. Oh, and there is no season or mood necessary for Tom Petty; that's good music anytime.


2. Dex's new-found maturity. I don't think I've shared it with you guys, because I didn't want to jinx it, but it's a pretty big deal: Dex is finally kennel-free. I know. I was shocked too. From the day he broke out of his kennel while we were gone and ate our entire stash of Subway trash (receipt and all) and pooped all over our floor, I never thought we would get to this point. I remember very vividly the first day I let him out of his kennel for a few hours while I was at work. We had a very serious conversation about maturity and responsibility. He gave me a knowing look that said, "Look Mom, you can trust me now. I don't do lame things like eat your electricity bills or poop on the floor anymore. And I swear I won't annihilate your pretty throw pillows either." I took a leap of faith, and I'm so glad I did. I thought the ugly wire kennel was going to be a permanent furnishing in my house. Now that it's no longer taking up space in my room (serving as a frequent thigh-bruiser and toe-stubber), I feel so... free.


3. Nate's sense of humor. Maybe, more specifically, the sense of humor Nate and I can share. At one point in conversation with our friends tonight, we both looked at each other and said, "Buzz, your girlfriend... woof!" Who does that? Straight-up 90's.





What are you thankful for? Are you playing along with me? I'd love it if you would post your blessings in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment