Monday, January 7, 2013

Non-judgmental January: Week 1



Happy Monday!  Ugh, I hate it when people say that.  Such a huge contradiction in two small words.  Oh well, its Tuesday somewhere, right?

Today marks the beginning of non-judgmental January for me.  Hopefully I convinced you in my last post to tag along with me as I make my way through this month’s resolution.

We judge things all the time and we make decisions based on our judgments.  Some of these judgments are helpful, like picking out the best fruit at the grocery store or deciding whether to take your meds for the day (hint: the answer is always yes).  We’re working on getting rid of the not-so-helpful ones.

This week, we’re starting out with the basics.  All we’re going to do is begin making ourselves more aware.  Every time you catch yourself thinking something mean or judgmental about another person, keep track of it.  Go ahead and write it down, or if you’re as good at mental images as I am, take a mental picture.  You may not even realize you’re doing it, as I often don’t.

Alright friends, my lunch break is almost over.  It’s time for me to go take inventory of how many rolls of toilet paper Dexter has consumed in this brief time (Seriously, he’s an addict.  It’s probably time to stage an intervention).  Let me know how you’re doing with the challenge in the next couple of days, and I’ll keep you in the loop on my progress too.




No comments:

Post a Comment