Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Get outta here, 2012.



Happy new year, everyone!  2012 was a whirlwind year for me with many new beginnings and I can’t help but feel like 2013 comes to me with lots of loose ends.  I started quite a few new things (I’m really good at that), but still have much to finish (not so good at that… I get it from my Dad.  More on that later).

Last January, I chose one theme word for my year: leadership.  I’ve never considered myself to be a leader, but I accepted the fact that it was time for me to grow up and put on my big girl pants.  Whether I wanted to be a leader in the workplace or not, I was always going to be a leader to someone… O, particularly. 

I also made an effort to step outside of my comfort zone as often as I could in 2012.  This brought me plenty of awkward situations and strange conversations, but growth, ultimately.  Of course, I started this blog… and here I am, baring my scars and my soul to all of you.  Yikes.  Family and friends who have known me my whole life are reading things here that they never knew.   I also took a chance and left my comfort zone in the career world.  I’ll start a new job in the middle of this month.  The truth is, I’m terrified… but I’m excited too.  If this year has taught me anything, it’s that if something terrifies me, I have to do it.  This new opportunity will be a little more family-friendly than my current job, and it will really play to my strengths.

I’ve been thinking about my resolutions and my theme for 2013.  It’s hard to decide what you want to commit yourself to for twelve months, right?  I’ve kicked around some very worthy ideas and words; love, happiness, charity, hope... Because it's so hard for me to commit, I decided on the word “commitment.”  Remember in the first paragraph when I mentioned I’m not the best at finishing things?  It’s time to change that.

My commitment issues know no boundaries.  I used to tell myself I was just indecisive or too much of a "free spirit" to be chained down, but I think the truth is that it's become more than that.  I have trouble seeing projects through to the end, I can't stick with one style (for my clothes, my writing, my hair), I have 23 different Pandora stations, and the thought of choosing just one cohesive decor approach for my home is enough to make me panic.  Hell, even my handwriting changes from month to month.  I get bored with the way I write my 'a' or my 'w' so I switch it up.

Don't even ask me the question about being stuck on an island and only being able to bring three things with me.  I'll start by giving you three answers, change my mind five times, and then I'll probably start twitching and mumble something obscure about a giraffe and leave while I've got you distracted.  And you'll be ok with that... because you were just asking me out of curiosity or to start a conversation, it's not like you were going to hold me to it and drop me off on an island with only those three things.  And then you'll think about what a waste of time that was, and you'll swear to never ask me something like that again.  Jeez.

2013 is the year I finish my projects.  It's the year I finally commit to painting the walls in my living room.  It's the year I stick with a fitness plan.  It's the year I figure out what three things I bring on my hypothetical island get away.

I've got some resolutions to go along with my commitment theme, but because this post is already getting a little lengthy and because our attention spans are all so short (ok, because I know my attention span is so short… If you’re still reading this and you haven’t just skimmed through to see if I have any cool pictures, props to you), I will post my resolutions in my next blog post.  

I hope this is your year.  Do you make resolutions?  Have you given any thought to it this year?  I want to hear from you!  Let me know what you’re focusing on to make 2013 great.

3 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh! I change my handwriting too b/c I get bored with it! And I can't decide on one decor/hair/clothes...anything!! So funny! I was laughing out loud during parts of this post! Excited for the new changes coming in your future! I know you will do great & you will also conquer commitment!!
    Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I contemplated starting a gratitude journal... I love the idea of it. other than that i have also started a blog. Keep posting Jessie I really enjoy your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the support, ladies!

    ReplyDelete